VOLUNTEER AT SOUTH SIDE ROOTS
There are many different ways to engage with South Side Roots as a volunteer: in the Cafe, Market, and Kitchen as well as with our weekly Community Meal. Below are the various roles available to volunteers and all roles could be providing support to all areas of the operation:
- AM Assistant – While volunteering in the market, you will be stocking produce and grocery items, preparing Grab & Go items, and completing minor cleaning duties. In the kitchen, you will support the chefs by helping to prepare breakfast for the Kids Cafe, meal prep for the day, as well as minor cleaning duties. Our Pay-What-You-Can Cafe opens daily at 11:00 am, so there is also the possibility helping prepare for its opening. For those who enjoy that feeling of accomplishment before noon, this is the shift for you!
- Lunch Assistant – While in the kitchen you will deliver meals to Cafe customers, help the chefs prepare lunch for the Kids Cafe, or help with basic meal prep. Serving in the Cafe requires customer service and ensuring tables are clean, items are restocked, and other light duties assigned. In the market you are providing customer service to those browsing, restocking grocery items, and maintaining the space when needed. This shift is ideal for the person who enjoys showcasing their skills in knife handling, customer service, and multitasking.
- Lunch and Dinner Assistant – While working in the kitchen you may be asked to deliver meals to cafe customers, meal prep and fulfill minor cleaning duties. While supporting the Cafe you may be asked to help with cleaning up, refilling drinks, minor cleaning duties, and help close down the Cafe. In the market you are providing customer service to those browsing, restocking grocery items, and maintaining the space when needed. If you take pride in your work and appreciate the need for maintaining a clean and safe environment, we recommend you sign up for this opportunity.
- PM Assistant – While working in this shift help will be needed in the kitchen alongside our chefs. The PM Assistant helps the kitchen team with meal prep, cleaning the space and equipment, and preparing for the next day. Calling all who enjoy working in a kitchen to this shift!
- Community Meal Volunteer – *ONLY on Tuesdays* Once a week we host a free dinner at South Side Roots as another way to bring people together. This evening meal takes place every Tuesday from 5:30-7:30 pm in the Cafe. When you volunteer on Tuesdays in the kitchen, you will be helping with meal prep for community meal as well as serving our community members, cleaning up, and make sure the guests enjoy their experience. This opportunity is ideal for the person with a heart for service and who understands the impact of a warm and welcoming smile.
*All volunteers must be at least 13 years of age, if not they will have to be assisted by a parent or guardian*